Thursday, February 28, 2008

Passersby Rescue Residents From Burning House

I heard about this fire this morning. This house from what I've heard is absolutely gutted. Unfortunate! From CBS2...
An early-morning fire on the city's South Side put seven people out in the cold, and some were rescued from the fire without their clothes on.

As CBS 2's Kristyn Hartman reports, the outcome of the blaze at 9654 S. Indiana Ave. could have been significantly worse, but quick thinking and quick action by passersby saved the day.

The fire broke out around 1:45 a.m. at the Indiana Avenue house, fire officials said.

Some people who live in the area and happened to be passing by apparently heard the smoke detectors and smelled the smoke. They grabbed a ladder alongside the house and helped a man who was trapped inside escape the smoke and flames.

After the rescues, the situation flared up severely. Firefighters said the flames spread up to the attic from the basement through the walls, and the roof collapsed.

In all, seven people were displaced, including three children under the age of 10.

One firefighter who slipped on the ice and fell and three men in the house suffered minor injuries. One was taken to Advocate Trinity Hospital because of exposure. When he got out of the home, he had little to no clothing and no shoes.

The other two injured men suffered cuts

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE READ FIRST!!!! Comment Moderating and Anonymous Comment Policy

While anonymous comments are not prohibited we do encourage you to help readers identify you so that other commenters may respond to you. Either read the moderating policy for how or leave an identifier (which could be a nickname for example) at the end of the comment.

Also note that this blog is NOT associated with any public or political officials including Alderman Roderick T. Sawyer!